Monday, July 1, 2013

A Frank and Honest Discussion of Racism (From the Viewpoint of an Upper Middle Class White Boy)

As most Conservatives in elected positions, I've been labeled as a racist. On what grounds, I'm not sure.

Probably because I said something about Jewish or Asian American parents putting more emphasis on education than parents in inner cities. How that's racist or discriminatory, I'm not at all certain. Seems to me to be just basic observation of culture, not skin color.

I even had one African American parent of former East Penn Students tell me that I "don't get it" because I am not sure why in this day and age High Schools would have a dedicated "African American studies" class. I believe that the accomplishments of distinguished African American scholars and leaders like Benjamin Bennekar, George Washington Carver, Thomas Jennings, and others should be taught within the framework of the existing curriculum. They certainly were when I attended Emmaus High School. Why we would want a class singling out the accomplishments of African Americans as if they were different from other Americans eludes me. Wouldn't that be racist? Aren't we all supposed to be equal?

As I was perusing a few articles on the ongoing George Zimmerman trial I was disgusted by the amount of race baiting in articles such as "What White People Don't Get About Rachel Jeantel" and "Why Black People Understand Rachel Jeantel". It is almost as if they're trying to provoke increased racial tensions in America should George Zimmerman be acquitted (and he should be).

A line in an article titled "Will the Zimmerman Trial Verdict Spark L.A.-Style Riots" particularly resonated with me.
"What makes race as inflamed an issue as it has been for several hundred years is the almost comical way in which frank conversation on it is avoided."
Why I had to be the one to write a "frank conversation on it"? I don't know. Maybe because I'm a bad politician who has a chronic inability to not say what I believe.

Supposedly Prosecution "Star Witness" Rachel Jeantel is to be forgiven for barely speaking English, referring to white people as "Creepy-ass cracka's" (well, damn, don't you think THAT'S a little racist?), and tweeting pictures of her "court nails" (and about getting high) because she's "a 19-year-old high school student of Haitian descent who knows nothing more than the few block radius she has grown up in."

Gee, tell that to the parents of Asian American students who "constitute 5.6 percent of the nation’s population but 12 to 18 percent of the student body at Ivy League schools".

If "creepy-ass cracka" isn't racist, then we probably need to apologize to Paula Deen for the public lynching that she has gone through over remarks she made 30 years ago. I would argue that Paula Deen's comments were more a result of her surroundings decades ago than any views she may hold on race relations.

If Paula Deen is a racist than assuredly President Obama is also an anti White racist for his long term participation in the "Black Liberation" church of Reverend Jeremiah Wright.



...or because the Minister who spoke at his inauguration believes "all whites are going to hell".

Remember President Obama said "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon". Really, Mr. President? Your son (according to the Prosecution's own witness) would have "straddled" George Zimmerman and been attacking him "ground and pound style"?


Of course, Mr. Zimmerman, despite his Nazi-German sounding surname, is Hispanic. In an attempt to spin the story their way, the media has even photo-shopped images of him to make him appear more white. Why his skin color is relevant, I have no idea.


The entire controversy surrounding the Zimmerman-Trayvon Martin case has to do with the 2nd Amendment and Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law. That's why Barack Obama couldn't help but inject himself into the case.


The whole Paula Deen thing has nothing to do with her remarks from 30 years ago. It's because she uses lots of butter and other things that are "bad for us". I remember the glee of the MSM when it was announced in 2012 that she had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.


Part of the reason we cannot differentiate between racism and stupidity anymore is because we have forgotten our own history.

It isn't uncommon in the wealthy suburban counties surrounding Philadelphia to hear a young woman say "well, my dad is a racist, so that means I have to vote for Barack Obama, right?" Naturally, young people are now taught in public schools (and I can attest to this from experience) that the Republican Party is the party that panders to racists via "the Southern Strategy".

I myself had this debate with my AP US Government teacher. Somehow it's always left out that the GOP was founded on abolishing slavery. The Republican Party was also responsible for passing the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

It's an accepted political truth now, the Tea Party is racist because they oppose Barack Obama.

If you oppose late term abortions, you're a racist! Never mind that Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger was a committed eugenicist who believed that "It is said the aboriginal Australian, the lowest known species of the human family, just a step higher than the chimpanzee in brain development, has so little sexual control that police authority alone prevents him from obtaining sexual satisfaction on the streets."

Now THAT'S racism.

Instead of letting the media and the other race hustlers on the left divide us according to race, we might do well to embrace the wisdom of Broadway hit Avenue-Q (I admit it, the agenda of the show as a whole is in line with the Progs but hey, even a stopped clock...) and accept that
Look around and you will find
No one's really color blind.
Maybe it's a fact
We all should face
Everyone makes judgments
Based on race...

 Now not big judgments, like who to hire
or who to buy a newspaper from - 

No!
No, just little judgments like thinking that Mexican
busboys should learn to speak goddamn English!

And the best solution?
Just laugh at the real racists...and maybe don't sit in their church's for several decades.

But what do I know? I'm just an upper middle class white boy. Don't take my word for it. Listen to Louisiana State Senator Elbert Guillory who recently switched to the Republican Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.