Sunday, June 23, 2013

$1600 for Common Core Conference?

On Monday, June 24th the East Penn School District will vote on the 2013-2014 School Year budget. The $130 million expenditure of taxpayer funds will likely be the most discussed item of the evening even though it is the first budget in almost a generation to lack a tax increase. Hey, it's an election year.

Another item on the agenda might normally have escaped notice: "Educational Conferences". Most of these are semi-mandatory expenditures of district funds to continue education for our district personnel but there is one conference that grabbed my attention- "Common Core, Now". To me, this sounds like a rah-rah support conference to prepare for an Orwellian Government/Corporate intrusion into families around the country.

The conference is set to be paid for with $1601.21 of "School Improvement Funds". I think this is grant money, but I'm not certain and I plan to ask. Doesn't matter. Grant money is taxpayer money too!

I have asked that this conference be separated out from the rest of the agenda to be voted on as a stand alone item. I plan to ask that a presentation be made to the public and the board after this conference takes place, but even with that stipulation, I am not certain I will be able to support it.

Plenty of people will attend the meeting to talk about how they feel about the budget, one way or the other.

If you feel strongly about Common Core, I ask that you attend this meeting and, if you feel comfortable doing so, speak out as well.

The meeting will take place at 7:30pm (arrive early if you'd like to speak!) at the Pine St. Entrance of the East Penn Administrative Building.
Emmaus High School
Emmaus, PA 18049


An interesting note: At the Lehigh County Republican Committee meeting that took place this past week, a member informed me that biometric measuring machines called for as part of Common Core have already been used on East Penn students at one of our middle schools. I will inquire further about the veracity of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.