Monday, April 22, 2013

My Statement at the End of Tonight's Meeting

At the 4-8-2013 meeting of the East Penn School Board, 4 parents asked for my censure. That didn't happen. At the end of tonight's school board meeting, I thanked my fellow school board directors for not giving in to the calls to attempt to chill my First Amendment rights.

The following is a copy of my statement:

"I'd like to take a moment to thank my fellow board members.

Last meeting, you were asked to draft a resolution of censure against me for comments I made on social media. I know there may be one or two of you who don't much care for me personally and I frequently disagree with most of you politically. 

I have not always been a perfect board member but I always strove to be an honest one. I thank you for giving me the freedom to continue being honest about what I believe, even when you disagree. It speaks highly of your character and your respect for the First Amendment.

In return, I owe it to you, my colleagues, and to the public, to be more circumspect in the way I express my beliefs in the public domain. Being honest does not mean I should fail to think before I type. 

Once again, my thanks to all of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.